Saturday, May 30, 2009

Bad Behavior

When I worked in the Senate, my coworker and I would play small pranks on each other whenever we were in the elevator together. We'd wait for the doors to be closed, the other person to be stuck, and then start an embarrassing conversation. It was juvenile and oh, so fun.

I have not done that in almost ten years, but yesterday I was tempted to do a variation on the theme. I was getting the girls out of the van so we could go to the mall and mail my Dad's birthday present. I saw an older, well-manicured couple walk toward us with a "tsk!tsk! so many kids!" look on their face. I was instantly annoyed. At the same time, Emma asked me, "Mama, do you think that Grandpa will like his present?"

With all my heart, I wanted to say, "I'm sure he'll love it sweetie, if it can get past the Warden. They have some tough rules at his new prison."

I figure, if they are going to disapprove, I'd give them something real to actually disapprove of.

Alas, I didn't. But it would have been FABULOUS.

5 comments:

Sylvia said...

Chicken.

Cunningham Blog said...

I should probably note here that my father is not in prison.

Unknown said...

Ha ha! Thanks for the laugh :)
That would've been hilarious!

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

missed opportunity

Browne Towne said...

let's go somewhere together and then we can really get the looks!