Monday, October 27, 2008

Ramblings of a Crazy Pregnant Woman

Yesterday I heard the words that I dread most. And I have to admit, I'm still a little peeved. But I'm wondering if I might just be a little crazy or perhaps a little hormonal?

Let me set the scene. I ran into a woman at church. The woman is probably in her mid to late 20s. I do not know her very well. We started talking and she asked me when my baby is due. I told her my favorite response, "Next month". Because saying next month makes it sound so very close. It's all in my head, but hey, it makes me feel better.

Now, the date this occurred was October 26th. And I said "next month". So for all she knew, I was having this baby in five days or so. You'd think that the response would be, "wow! right around the corner!" or "that's really soon!". Instead, I heard the words I hate. And now I must try to not dislike the messenger.

She said:

"Oh, so you still have awhile."

I know, I know, you're waiting to hear something much worse. Something nasty and worth this blog space. But I just hate hearing that I still have "awhile". I'm carrying this watermelon with me everywhere. Day in, day out. And we're not talking about one of those small ones from Safeway. This is a full-sized watermelon. I cannot really put on shoes very well. I cannot sleep very well. She's either in my ribs or on my bladder. Are you feeling my pain, yet?

So hearing that I still have awhile has made me a little moody.

I must remember this day and practice appropriate responses when I am talking to some ppor pregnant woman at church:

Wow! Next month! That's really soon!

or

You look great! How are you feeling?

or

So soon! Do you need any help getting ready?

These are the responses that can soothe the soul of a rambling, crazy, pregnant woman.

4 comments:

Sylvia said...

Alicia...I think you look great and if you point out the woman to me...I'm sure I can take her :)

Tina said...

Alicia, you haven't even looked like a pregnant woman very long . . . so I am shocked, JUST A MONTH! WOW!

Anonymous said...

According to the counter on your blog, it's 32 days until the new Cunningham makes her appearance. You do not have awhile. Time flies. You look great!

Unknown said...

I agree with all of the above...
You look great and your little sweet one will be here before you know it.