Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Confusing Signs

Waldorf is a larger city with some mainstream stores: Target, WalMart, etc. But it also has some "special" stores.

For example, by Stephanie's house there is a carpet store. The owner advertises on his marquee that he is "Serving Jesus Christ Through Carpeting". I'm not quite sure how that works, but, good for him.

Another favorite of mine is a furniture store over by the pediatrician's office. I do not go to this furniture store very often because the few times I have been there they have been overpriced and panicked by the havoc my kids might cause in the store. They have a large marquee outside of the store. I drove past the other day and it said:

I always knew I could when you said I couldn't I knew that I could.

What? Shouldn't they be advertising couches for $499?

7 comments:

Sylvia said...

Well...Jesus was thought to be a carpenter...maybe they think that is the term for one who lays carpet.
Who doesn't like getting pearls of wisdom from business marquees? It's better than the billboard on the way home from church..."I'm not giving it up and I'm not giving in." You have no idea how many times I've had to dodge a conversation with Brighton over that one.

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

I'm thinking of joining, "The God is in Control Church" myself. I also enjoy the "Virgin is not a dirty word"-b/c that's a conversation I enjoy having w/ my kids

Cunningham Blog said...

Sylvia: I see that Billboard all the time on the way to Shoppers. It's not as bad as the one on 210 that just says "Sex Is Not A Dirty Word". That's one of my favorites.

Tara: I love that Church! After we go, we can stop by Arby's.

My25Cents said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My25Cents said...

What I think is funny is that you call Waldorf a "larger" city. I always feel so claustrophobic in this area because of its small size. Anyhow - for the record "Serving Jesus Christ through carpeting" (aka Dave's Discount Carpet) is a fabulous company that is honest and very affordable. I refer a lot of business to them. I'm thinking I should get part of their advertising buget each month. Whaddya think?

Cunningham Blog said...

I grew up in an Area. Not even a town. Osgood Area. We had a church, a school and a store/gas station. Waldorf is plenty big for me.

Tina said...

I actually know those people who own the carpet store . . . . didn't know it until Susan Young told me it was a great place to buy carpet, then told me who the owner was. I ended up actually buying carpet from them, and decided I needed to stop making fun of their sign (because they aren't really all that "in your face" about religion . . . but I still think it is corny!!