Friday, December 5, 2008

Nothing To Cry Over (?)

This morning I was enjoying a piece of domestic bliss when it all came tumbling down.

I was holding Molly, and Emma and Macey were snuggled up with us, watching television. We were talking about what to do with Emma's hair for school today. Yesterday, she had a small pony tail in the back. Since her hair is so fine, nothing really stays in very well, but it was something new, and so we gave it a try.

But, today, Emma told me that a girl at school said that her hair "was silly". Well, Emma is not mean or petty and so she does not know - yet - that lots of girls are and so she took the comment in the best possible way. She laughed at the idea of being called "silly" and I cried and cried for about 15 minutes just thinking, "Oh, no, here it starts."

Maybe the other girl was not trying to be mean or to tease Emma and there was certainly no harm done because Emma was able to laugh it off, but my heart breaks for the day when she can't.

Heaven help me, why couldn't I just have BOYS?

5 comments:

Grammy T said...

I think Emma has beautiful hair, like a Princess! And girls are mean, so she just has to know she's a Princess and it won't bother her!

Sylvia said...

Boys are not so kind either...Brighton loved Under Armour shirts and wore them everyday...some boy in his class said something and now...no more Under Armour.
I love that Emma didn't get upset that says a lot :)

Tina said...

OH, you have plenty of tears with boys now. . . . you've only just begun . . . . can you hear Karen Carpenter singing that??? Or are you too young?????

Tina said...

okay that didn't make sense. I think I meant "you have plenty of tears with boys also!"

Anonymous said...

Sylvia and Tina are right. We went to a park day and one of the kids decided to tell all the other kids that they had to stay away from Billy. I know it was probably just a game, but it broke my heart. Emma has a great attitude.