Monday, July 28, 2008

Woman, Just Be Quiet!

So I am 21 weeks along in my pregnancy, and I do not have a functioning thyroid. Which means that I get to see a lot of doctors. And sometimes it feels like I see a lot and lot of doctors. I walk this crazy schedule where I try to schedule appointments where Garry does not have to take off too much time from work so he can watch the girls and so I can make it back in time to teach piano. Sometimes, it stresses me out. And I do not behave my best.

Take today. My appointment was for 2:45 and I showed up at 2:40 hoping, hey, early in, early out. (Never works). I sat and sat and sat. I even heard the receptionist call back and say, "You know Mrs. Cunningham is here, right?" Yes, they knew. Then these two older gentlemen came in to the office and, well, they may not have realized it, but they began talking to each other very loudly. And I was trying to read my magazine article on Lindsey Lohan's new relationship and I was worried about the time and then the one older gentleman turns to the other older gentleman and asks, "which doctor does your wife see?" To which he responded, "The woman." Now, that was just annoying. And the clock ticked on.

And then one of the older gentlemen was called back. And I was still there. And I was angry and stressed and so I said (stupid me!) hey, I've been here for 30 minutes!! To which I was informed that my doctor was with a "new patient" and was wrapping things up, she promised. I scowled but was relieved that the other gentleman was at least gone and I could read about Jennifer Garner's pregnancy in peace.

I finally did see the doctor and was then getting ready to have my lab work done. In walked the nurse with the huge needle. It was the same nurse I had just barked at. All I could think was, "Alicia, woman, when are you going to learn to just be quiet." I wondered, should I apologize and beg for mercy before she accidentally misses my vein a few times or just hope that she's heard it all before and wants me out the door more than getting a little revenge.

Luckily, she was very professional and hit my vein the first time. But hopefully the lesson will stay with me for a few months. Woman, just be quiet! 'Cause they keep big old needles in these places.

No comments: