Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Confession Is Good For The Soul

So in my life I have done many bad things, but I have done three really bad things. First, a few years ago while I was working in the Senate, I had a habit of going into the restroom and using the handicap restroom at the end of the stalls. Now, you should see the bathrooms in the Senate. They are all marble and nice and the doors are made of heavy, dark wood and it can be a really heavenly experience. Now the handicap restroom was nice and spacious and so it was my favorite. And one day I walked out of the stall, and there was this lady in a wheelchair waiting to use the bathroom!! And, to be honest, she just may have been waiting awhile, if you know what I mean. I was horrified and never used that stall again.

My second horrible moment occurred a few years ago on Highway 301 South. I was in a hurry to WalMart of all stupid things, and suddenly this car pulled in front of me at an angle and forced me to stop, in the middle of the road, and a highway at that! So, annoyed, I honked. In fact, I may have honked twice. Who was this man thinking he was all important and could just pull out where and when he wanted to? The nerve. Now, since the car was at an angle, I did not realize until it was way too late that the offending car was actually a hearse at the beginning of a funeral procession and he was trying to stop traffic so that the rest of the procession could catch up and realize that they had to make a U-Turn at a certain location to reach the cemetary on the other side. Wow, that was just darn horrific.

So I had a streak going where I had not done anything too shameful for awhile. And the streak ended today. I was on the cell phone with my sister, walking into the store, carrying Emma and just ignorant to the world, when I noticed that Garry was holding the door open and the gentleman in front of him was holding the other door open as well. Assuming that it was for me, because everything is about me, right?, I breezed right in through the set of double doors, thanking people as graciously as I could like I was Miss America or something as I walked in. And then I saw it. A lady in a wheelchair, trying to exit, and I realized that the men were not holding the doors for me but for the lady trying desperately to exit until I cut her off.

It was not one of my better moments.

2 comments:

Garry said...

It was not just a lady, it was an OLD lady. AND it wasn't a wheel chair, she was using a walker attempting to shuffle out the door.

Stephanie said...

That's hilarious and Garry's comment actually makes the story worse! But you can also feel better about yourself after the story I told you about Lance calling out his friends' abandonment. I'm not sure it get's worse than that. : )