Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Rainy Day Bonding

It rained today and so the girls and I had a lot of concentrated together time. We took a break and went to the church parking lot so that Emma could practice riding and riding and riding her bike. When we came home we watched a movie and played with toys and made rice crispy treats. It was a lot quality together time. But soon I got the idea that maybe Emma was on bonding overload.

Remember that song? About the father that was always too busy for his son and then one day when he had time the son just asked for the car keys so that he could spend time with his friends? It's a famous song, and, alas, the title escapes me. But today I got a little glimpse of it.

I asked Emma, who was playing with her stuffed animals, if she wanted to play with the ball with me. "Come on, Emma", I said, "we can sit across the room and take turns throwing or rolling. Wanna play?" Emma was silent. She clearly did not want to, but she does care about her Mama's feelings. "Umm...maybe Macey will play with you," she countered.

Now, I know where she got this. I say it to her 100 times a day. But to hear it back when she's just three? Shouldn't she be a teen before she starts to ditch me?

1 comment:

Tina said...

The song is "Cat's in the Cradle." That song makes you think doesn't it? Found your blog from a live feed into mine. Keep it up!!! What fun! And welcome aboard!