Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Responsible

A few weeks ago I had to make a decision: Italy or no Italy. My Mom and sisters had been planning a trip for almost a year, and I had a hard time deciding whether to go or not to go. (Insert theme music: Should I Stay Or Should I Go -- Love that song.)

After Molly was born I was pretty convinced that I should not go. At that time she would not take a bottle (though she had nearly two ounces of formula yesterday -- wahoo!) or a pacifier. So it would be really hard to leave her since the only way to calm her down at times was to nurse her. And financially it did not make sense since Garry and I plan to sell the townhouse this summer and move into something bigger where our kids can run and scream and play all day and the neighbors cannot complain! So I knew that we needed all of our pennies for that big move. Emotionally, it would have been great! Europe! No crying! No tantrums! But I just could not justify it. So I did not go.

I found out yesterday that an old roommate of mine is facing a similar decision. To take a trip or not to take a trip? Her kids are older and in school, so it would not be too hard to leave. But financially it does not make sense for her family or for their future goals. So, what is she going to do? She's taking the trip!

For the last few hours I have been so angry about this. Her actions do make sense to me, but she's getting something that I wanted. I'm started to feel a foot stomping tantrum come on and it's not from my four year old -- it's from me! Does she lack responsibility or do I lack faith?

5 comments:

Sylvia said...

It's funny how sometimes as grown ups we revert back to 4 year olds. If I don't get to go somewhere...then no one should go...it's only fair right? Remember it's only fair to the one who can't go...at least that's what I tell my tantrum thrower.

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

we're still faithfully putting $ into our IRA's every months. If we spent the $ on a European vacation-we'd have just about the same amount in our retirement fund.

Cunningham Blog said...

I definitely feel like Jonah -- so upset that dire consequences do not immediately fall for a decision I do not agree with and forgetting all of the times when mercy was extended to me for my own decisions. I do not get a snazzy European vacation, but maybe I'll get a snazzy house. And we'll thump on the walls and race around the dining room because we can!

LeeAnn said...

Sooth your spirits by taking a trip up to Baltimore's "Little Italy." I hear there's pretty good food there! Then later(much later-after you have saved moola for that purpose only)take the trip to Italy and take Garry with you! Romantic Italy with anyone but your spouse just seems a waste to me!(and the screaming, crying children-this too shall pass and one day you will actually miss them. The children, not the screaming and crying.)

Tina said...

We had saved to go to Europe and then the phone call came from Halley. "Guess what mom! I'm getting married!" and I said, "Guess what Lincoln? We're not going to Europe!" The money went to the wedding! Now she's going on a 6 week trip to Europe and asked if I'd chaperone. I'm stuck home with kids that aren't small but know how to make big trouble! Geesh! I can't win!!!