Monday, August 25, 2008

My Definition of Rich

My mother always told me, "Alicia, it's not how much you make, it's how much you spend." I heard on the radio today that one of the Olsen twins was in financial trouble. I'm not sure where all of her millions went, but apparently she's down to just a million or two.

A friend of mine gave a great lesson a few years ago about the definition of wealth. They asked people who made $25,000 - $40,000 a year how much they'd like to make in order to achieve a little breathing room. And they all said around $50,000. That would be fabulous. But people who made $50,000 said they needed $75,000. And up and up. Everyone wants to be in the next bracket up.

So today I was thinking about being rich, and I decided that I would define myself as rich when I no longer had to shop at WalMart. And when I could choose Charmin over Angel Soft.

I know some people are great fans, but WalMart makes me sad. The experience is very trying. It seems as though shelves are always getting stocked where I would like to pass through with my cart. And people are always parking their cart at extreme angles making it difficult to pass through.

And FORGET having to ask an employee for help because it just is not going to happen.

And the lines. THE LINES! Why do they always put people in training in the 20 items or less register? They need to put their champion scanners on this register. The guy they call Lightning. He needs to work that register.

And if you are going to write a check, shouldn't you start filling it out while you are in line? What have you been doing for the last 15 minutes? Because personally I have been trying to keep my girls from killing each other and silently hating you and your 21 items.

Unfortunately, WalMart has me over a barrell. They are cheap, and I need cheap, and they sell Sixlets, those tempting little candy coated chocolate candies, in bulk, so really, I'm stuck.

3 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

I'm with ya - I am getting cheaper when it comes to food and "stuff". Mostly because of gas prices. If gas would go back down we would be in the next bracket! Well, close anyway. :)

Tina said...

sixlets??? I haven't had them for ages and LOVE them! I'll have to look next time I'm there!

Natalie C. said...

Alicia, I miss you! Just today I was having a conversation about missing friends that were able to be real and not pretend their lives were perfect. I've been catching up on your blog and laughing and laughing. Your girls are BEAUTIFUL! We need to catch up!! Or at least I need to read your blog more often. It cheers me up. :)

And my comment about Walmart is that I'm only lucky they're not the only place that sells Utz pretzels. It's my current addiction & I would wait in line for them. But it pains me to go to Walmart for any reason. It really is the disorganization and the lines!