Friday, August 1, 2008

I Am Officially A Teacher


If we ever leave the Washington, D.C. area and my resume no longer looks like everyone else's, I would like to teach Political Science at a community college. I think it would be a great experience. But, for now, I am teaching piano to 25 little kids from my home and a few adults at the College of Southern Maryland. But I have never considered myself a "teacher" until yesterday.


I have a student, Stephanie, who is a joy. I have to assign her six to eight songs in the summer to keep her entertained. She practices hard and works hard. She's fabulous. But yesterday she came over to my house and was CHEWING GUM. I ignored it for awhile, but the smack, smack, smack sound drove me crazy. Finally, I told her she just had to spit it out.


I have arrived. I am a teacher.

No comments: