Friday, November 6, 2009

Doomed For Failure

Sometimes I wonder if on the path of parenthood I am not completely doomed for failure.

I also have a book blog, and I recently finished and reviewed the book Sing Them Home. In this book, one of the characters is a man in his late 30s but everytime he walks in front of people he remembers that his father (a small town doctor) told him that he had a farmer's swing in his gait. His father (who dies at the very beginning of the book) may have told him everyday that he was smart and wonderful (he didn't), but his son daily remembers that one comment.

For quite awhile I thought that I had time to get this parenthood thing down because the girls were too young to remember my mistakes. But now Emma is five. I remember five! I have memories from being five! What will she remember?

4 comments:

LeeAnn said...

The more you stress about being a parental failure the more likely you may become one! Do what you KNOW is right and you will be successful. Not perfect but successful. Always apologize to your children when you know you have done or said something wrong too!

Stephanie said...

Okay, I totally don't remember 5. I wonder about that too sometimes.

MissouriMormonMama said...

I think every parent has struggled with this at some point. The bad ones probably don't even care! At least we're trying! We're only human ( :

Unknown said...

It's tough. I try to focus on the positive stuff and I hope that's what they will remember...plus I take a ton of pictures of them doing fun and happy things, so I'll have proof :)
I think you are doing a great job Alicia, don't be so hard on yourself! Like Susie said, the fact that you care means a lot.
-sorry for the long comment :)