Thursday, August 23, 2012

Book Signing With Jennifer Stewart Griffith



When I was at BYU, I completed an internship with Senator Larry E. Craig of the airport bathroom fame.  Working in that office was interesting.  The other interns hated me because, since I was from BYU and we had a special program every Friday, I got every Friday off.  But still got paid the same.  And since I had a carpool, I had to leave on time, everyday.  Yep, I would have hated me, too.

The one ray of light was Jennifer Stewart.  She worked up front, and once a week I got to help her on the phones.  I loved it.  When she went over to work for the House of Representatives, I was very sad.  The new guy was weird, and he was a chain smoker.  He would take a "break" every hour on the hour and leave me to handle the phones by myself.  I also thought that he was a weird fit for the office.  Usually the front office staff should be from the state because they are the ones that interact the most with constituents.  This guy was not from Idaho, and if he was a Republican, he was a card-carrying member of the Log Cabin Republicans.  I could not figure out how he got hired.  But now, nearly two decades later, it all makes perfect sense.

Jennifer Stewart became Jennifer Stewart Griffith, and she became an author!  She has written four books, and I was so excited to attend her book signing at Trolley Square.  Her latest, Big In Japan, is about a great man who is embarrassed by his weight in his mediocre job in Texas, but he finds fame and love as a sumo wrestler in Japan.  Great read!

2 comments:

Hygge Man said...

Sounds like a cool book! Hope it's a best seller!

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

I'll give it a read. (this post made me laugh)