Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Romance Meets Cold, Hard Cash

Yesterday was a bit of a challenge. I woke up and made coffee cake for the kids with some special hot chocolate. So far, so good. But then I got on the Internet to do my 'site scan' where I quickly check my work account, personal email, facebook, and blog pages.

I got stuck on Facebook. There on Facebook I found lots of entries about Valentine's Day. Local ladies posted pictures of their morning surprises: roses, chocolates, cards, it was all there.

I was not jealous of the stuff. I knew that my Valentine would bring home great surprises after work. What threw me for a loop yesterday was the background of the pictures -- all those clean kitchens! Those clean counters, those spotless and empty sinks. All in the background but what a lovely background! My kitchen is usually functionally clean, meaning that it is clean enough to use and get around. But it is almost never spotless. After seeing all those pictures, I figured that it was time to up my game.

A few hours later, I still felt overwhelmed and inadequate. Luckily my Valentine did not bring home roses to take pictures of and post. I got a few boxes of chocolates and cold, hard cash. Apparently that is the gift that keeps on giving!

One day when I have all the kids in school, my kitchen will stay clean, too. And it will be awesome. I'll have to take a picture.

4 comments:

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

maybe they were just posing by the clean part. That's what I do on my blog. Clean off a section of the counter and then crop like mad.

Unknown said...

Oh man, I think Tara is right. I do that all the time!
Shove mess aside and then crop :)

Rarely is my kitchen super clean and my kids are all in school...shame on me I guess!

LeeAnn said...

Amen to Tara and Kiersten's comments! Don't be a slave to some version of clean that is a fantasy!

I have no children at home and my house is still not spotless!!! It is a home. We live in it and use it and sometimes we even abuse it!

Stephanie said...

I agree with the ladies here! There are more imPortant things to life than having a spotless kitchen.